James Barry, ENV SP
With a varied catalog of civil engineering design experience, James brings an exceptional depth and breadth of knowledge to LPS. He has consistently been recognized for his keen attention to detail while maintaining a focus on the overall project parameters. His creative problem solving and a mindfulness of construction budgets all complemented by an acute understanding of detail drawings and specifications, make him a perfect fit to LPS’ engineering team.
James has lived in the Hampton Roads area, on and off, his whole life. He is a proud father of one son and devotes his spare time to canoeing, winter camping, home improvements, reading and painting.
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA 2012
B.S., Civil Engineering
Previous Work Experience & Awards
Vanasse Hangen Brustlin (VHB): Project Engineer, 1999-2016
- Hampton Roads Crossing, Suffolk, VA – 300 acre master planned mixed use development including residential condominiums, apartments, retail, hotel and office space.
- Corporate Landing Condominiums, Virginia Beach- 3 office buildings located in Corporate Landing
- Virginia Arts Festival Building. Norfolk, VA – Theater, gathering space and arts offices in downtown Norfolk. HRACRE award winner/ LEED Gold
- Dominion Enterprises Building, Norfolk, VA- Commercial office high-rise in downtown Norfolk. HRACRE award winner
- 220 W. Brambleton Street, Norfolk, VA- Convert the former Health and Human Services Building into street front retail and high-end condominiums. HRACRE award winner
- Tidewater Animal Emergency Veterinary (Now BluePearl), Virginia Beach, VA- Veterinary doctor offices, HRACRE award winner
- Grow Interactive at 427 Granby Street, Norfolk, VA- Restoration of historic building into modern office space, HRACRE award winner
- Lake Wright Hotel, Norfolk VA- Phased construction of two hotels on existing hotel site.
- Liberty Tax Headquarters, Virginia Beach, VA- Corporate Headquarters of Liberty Tax
- Stihl, Virginia Beach, VA- Guide Bar Manufacturing Plant, Finished Goods Warehouse Expansion, Raw Materials Warehouse Expansion
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical Office Building- Master planning of the existing DePaul campus and design of a 100k sf medical office building. LEED Silver
- Sajo Farm Residential Development, Virginia Beach, VA- 300 unit waterfront residential neighborhood. Winner of the City of Virginia Beach Environmental Stewardship Development Award.
- Old Dominion University Convocation Center, Norfolk, VA- Indoor arena/ venue on Old Dominion University campus
- Virginia Tech/ National Institute of Aeronautics Building, Hampton, VA- Research and office space near NASA Langley and Langley AFB.
- Yorktown Riverwalk Landing, Yorktown, VA- Historic redevelopment of the waterfront area of Yorktown into retail and open space.
- Downtown Hampton City Offices, Hampton, VA- Municipal building housing the City of Hampton offices.
- Suffolk Municipal Center, Suffolk, VA- Municipal building housing the City of Suffolk offices
- Town Center Fire Station, Virginia Beach, VA- New fire station in the Town Center Area of Virginia Beach
- Virginia Zoo New Entrance Road, Norfolk, VA- New entrance road, drainage, planting, lighting and entrance sign providing all weather access in a flood prone area.
- United States National Field Hockey Training Facility, Virginia Beach, VA- Training facility and sports fields for the US Field Hockey team.
- Virginia Beach Pupil Transportation Maintenance Facility, Virginia Beach, VA- Bus maintenance facility for city of Virginia Beach Public Schools. First LEED Platinum rated project in the city of Virginia Beach. City of Virginia Beach Environmental Stewardship Development Award.
- Downtown Norfolk Streetscape Designs, Norfolk, VA- Granby Street from Main Street to Brooke Avenue, Main Street, Plume Street and Brooke Avenue from Granby Street to Boush Street. Urban streetscape revitalization.
- Downtown Urbanna Streetscape Phases 1 & 2, Urbanna, VA- Revitalization plan for historic Urbanna.
- Fountain Square, Town Center, Virginia Beach, VA- Fountain square plaza open space and outdoor gathering space. HRACRE award winner
Military Career & Honors
United States Army: Sergeant, Field Artillery 1994-1998
- III Corps PLDC Distinguished Honor Graduate
- Two Army Achievement Medals
- Army Commendation Medal
- Reserve Drill Sergeant, 2000-2001